“Researchers estimate that up to 15 million Americans have food allergies, including 5.9 million children under age 18. That’s 1 in 13 children“. There is no doubt with the rising rates of allergies at least one tricker treater at your door will have allergies. The Solution? Hand out Non-Candy Treats for Halloween. Participate in the Teal Pumpkin Project.
What is the Teal Pumpkin Project?
The Teal Pumpkin Project is a worldwide movement to create a safer, happier Halloween for all kids. Its also about raising awareness and providing safe treats for kids who can not have candy due to allergies or other reasons.
We have a child with peanut and milk allergies. Each year she gets older it becomes harder and harder to dwindle down the candy bucket to only a few safe pieces.
The steps to participate are:
Provide non-food treats for trick-or-treaters.
Place a teal pumpkin – the color of food allergy awareness –in front of your home to indicate you have non-food treats available.
Some chocolate manufactures still use slavery to make their chocolate. In the past Hershey’s, Nestle and Mars have all been sued for using child slave labor to source cocoa.
The kids (ages 1, 3 & 5) find it exciting to go Trick or Treating. Unfortunately about 95% of the candy is chocolate including a decent amount of peanut candy. On the bright side, one neighbor was handing out mini buckets of play dough last year. Our kids have been loving play dough lately, so this made them extremely happy.
Not many Trick or Treaters came to our door last year. I heard excited exclamations for stamps and stickers from kids. What stuck out to me was a father extremely appreciative to get non-candy treats for his kids.
These are all kid friendly alternatives to candy. Any of these non-candy ‘treats’ will provide more hours of fun than the time it takes to eat a few pieces of candy. You can buy a few different smaller items and mix and match, or buy a few bigger items. Its all up to you.
Quick note on glitter. Personally I would not buy anything with glitter. Not only is glitter annoying, its bad for the environment. Glitter is a form of micro-plastics which are polluting the ocean. Read about micro-beads here.
Glow Sticks. (Bonus – keeps kids visible to cars)
Puzzles Activities & Games
Free Cheat Sheet to Finding Hidden Toxins
Avoid the Toxins that are Making you Sick! Subscribe to the Newsletter and Receive a Quick Start Guide to Ditching Toxins.
You've successfully signed up! Check your inbox for the Quick Start Guide.