Protecting Baby Part II: Toys
Read Part 1 – Shampoo
Read Part 3 – Baby Bottles
Avoid Cheap Plastic Toys
Plastics should be avoided because of BPA and other chemicals that will come into contact with your baby especially if they chew on them. The cheaper they toy, the more likelihood of toxic chemicals used in production. Its tough to know if toys contain toxins, the best way is to just buy safer toys.
Yes, it is hard to avoid cheap plastic toys, but ultimately a few high quality safer baby toys is better than tons of low quality toys. Grandparents and relatives WILL buy your kids all kinds of toys. However, its still your decision about which toys YOU yourself will buy. Also if you end up having way to many toys, then you can get rid of a few of the worse offenders.
Types of Safer Baby Toys to Buy
- These will ultimately last longer then cheap plastic, so you can pass them down to siblings.
- There is a lot of variety to be found.
- More than just wood wood puzzles and blocks, you could probably find a good wood version of anything.
Organic Cloth Toys
- Babies will chew on toys, its a fact of life.
- More expensive than wood, but still durable
- There are a variety of cute stuffed animals and other unique cloth toys.
Best Brands with a Non-Toxic Record
Photo by Jelleke Vanooteghem on Unsplash