Glass Straws vs Metal Straws
We no longer use plastic straws in our house. For numerous reasons I bought some glass straws a while ago from Strawsome and we never turned back. We recently received metal straws through our mighty nest subscription, so I thought I would do a comparison of our glass and metal straws.
Reasons to Avoid Plastic Drinking Straws
- Plastic straws are one use only. Afterwards they go into the landfill.
- They are not environmentally friendly. An estimated 500 million plastic straws are thrown out each DAY in the United States.
- If you use a lot of straws it will cost you more money to continue buying straws.
- Plastic has proven to be harmful to our health. Many leach unknown toxins into our food. The more you can avoid plastic the better.
- They are see through so you can see if they are clean.
- They come in pretty colors and fun shapes.
- Not breakable like glass straws.
- Not see through
- Its not as fun when you can’t see the liquid coming up the straw.
- Not convenient with little kids to see if they actually are drinking : how much or how fast.
- Temperature sensitive.
- Drinking a cold smoothie? The straw gets super cold.
- Washing the straw in hot water? Careful, don’t burn yourself.
Overall I like the glass straws better, even if they aren’t as practical. After 4 years of use we started having a few chips, but the glass straws come with a lifetime guarantee and Strawsome replaced ours for free (you do have to pay shipping and handling). I don’t however reccomend glass straws for small kids. I used to put the glass straws in glass mason jars for daily smoothies (this was before I had metal straws). It worked fine for a while, but eventually they started breaking. Our 3 year old loves the metal straws over the glass ones. She even throws fits when all the metals ones are dirty.
Free Quick Start Guide
Sign up for the newsletter and get a
FREE quick start guide to Ditching Toxins.