Do you know which is better? There are pros and cons to both bottled water and tap water. After reading this article I definitely feel like there are a lot of reasons to ditch the plastic water bottles and drink filtered tap water. We currently use a counter top reverse osmosis system in our house.
- Convenient. You can easily take it out on the go, grab one when needed.
- Tastes better than straight tap water.
- You’re paying a premium price. Depending on how much water you drink, this could be a lot of money.
- Lack of disclosure. Where is the water coming from and how is it purified?
- A study by EWG found multiple toxins in bottled water
- Disinfection Byproducts
- Pharmaceuticals (acetaminophen, for example)
- Heavy Metals and minerals including arsenic and radioactive isotopes
- Fertilizer Residue (nitrate and ammonia).
- Water bottles have to be made, filled, and transported. It takes an estimated 2,000 times more energy to produce bottled water than to produce an equivalent amount of tap water.
- Environmental Pollution
- A Staggering amount of plastic goes into landfills, harms wildlife and pollutes waterways.
- How many plastic bottles actually get recycled? Not nearly enough.
- Regulated by the EPA. You know those yearly water quality test booklets you get in the mail every year?
- Can easily be filtered to make it taste better.
- Your already paying for it with your water bill, so why not use it?
- Current studies show that even modern day water treatment plants can’t get out the smallest of chemical molecules, this means you may be ingesting pharmaceutical chemicals among other toxins.
Ditch the Plastic Water Bottles
If you currently drink bottled water switching to tap water will save you money in the long run and you will be doing your part to keep plastic out of the landfills. Check EWG for information about your current favorite bottled water brand, or the status on your local tap water.
- Invest in a water filter. If you don’t have money for a reverse osmosis filter then a simple pitcher will do for now. EWG has a good guide.
- Invest in a stainless steel or glass water bottle to take your water on the go.
photo credit: Diego3336 via photopin cc
QUICK START GUIDE
Subscribe to the Newsletter and Receive a Quick Start Guide to Ditching Toxins.